22 Washing Machine Accessories You Might Not Have Known About
Is your laundry experience far from being called seamless? Aren't you satisfied with cleaned laundry when you pull it out the washer? Are your looking for troubleshooting tips on how to improve your washing routine? In this article you will find the answers to these and many more questions as well as discover some really helpful washing machine accessories you might not have heard about.
Table of Contents:
Nowadays, washing clothes is an easy routine, nor like it was a hundred year ago when people used to do all the work with their hands. Today we can trust even the most delicate clothes to a washing machine, which is one of the greatest devices ever. You just need to sort and put the dirty garments into the washer, press 'Go' and enjoy your free time. But regardless of how nice it sounds, there are still some faults people used to make to their washing machines. Would you like to check the list below to see whether you are making the following laundry mistakes or not?
- Leaving zips unzipped – it refers not only to zips but to any fastenings. All should be done up before a garment gets into the washing machine. Otherwise, they can damage the rest of the clothing. It sounds like zips do have teeth, so do not let your zips bite other garments.
- Using few programs – people often use standard programs such as for cottons, synthetics or fast washing though the machine offers a wide range of programs. The last are not just a marketing bait, they are developed to automatically adjust washing parameters such as temperature, spin speed, water amount, and cycle length to provide the most optimal wash to a certain type of apparel. So don't neglect your washing machine benefits.
- Using too much detergent – there is a belief that more detergent results in a better wash. In fact, the amount of detergent depends on a size of your load and the type of clothes. If your laundry is too dirty, decide on two cycles rather than more detergent, which will only add some soapy residue to the laundry.
- Overloading – there is always a temptation to cram all dirty laundry you get into a washing machine. When there is too much of it, it clumps together and turns into a big ball, which is so tough that doesn't allow detergent to be spread evenly or rinsed properly. It can also damage the drum and shorten the machine lifespan.
- Not checking pockets – there is nothing more frustrating than getting your clean laundry out of the washing machine and discovering you left a tissue in a pocket, which is now all over the clothes. Or finding some washed money in a pocket. It takes some time to check pockets but it can save much energy to you later.
- Putting delicates unprotected – delicates are usually associated with bras, what is correct but not limited to. It is recommended to use mesh bags to prevent the straps from being stretched by other items. The cashmere, silk, and wool are also delicate items that require extra care wash. Selecting the right washing program and washing machine accessories may substitute hand wash without damaging your delicates.
- Not pre-treating stains – stains become your middle name when there is a child in the house. They are everywhere but first off on kids garments. Don't be crazy about rubbing them furiously, this is not what the pre-treating means. It will damage the fabric and wear away the colors. Instead, use special stain removers or natural methods to treat the stains on the clothing before it goes into the washer.
The washing machine is indisputably the best creation ever for the household needs! It saves a lot of time, which you can spend on reading, playing with your children or going shopping. However, the washer is more than pouring detergent and pushing 'Go'. This is a complicated appliance the efficiency of which can be increased with the help of specific washing machine accessories. Surely, you already have some at home, while some may be new to you. Also if you plan to buy a small washer and look for info how to choose the best portable washing machine some of this accessories also will be helpful to make your compact washer more convenient. Check this list of most recommended washing machine accessories to find what your washer might need.
Regardless of your brand preferences, any automatic washer moves and shakes. It wouldn't be a problem if it was not for machine's shorter lifespan. Using particular anti-vibration accessories that prevent shaking, helps to fix your appliance in one place and save it from early breakdown:
1. Silent Feet
If you are tired of rumble your washer makes on spin cycles, it's time to calm it down. Buy a set of silent feet to your automatic machine and enjoy sweet quiet in the house. These pads refuse more than 94% of vibration and fit all clothing washing machine models.
Amazon rating: 3.9 out of 5 stars. Based on 198 customer reviews.
Pros: high-quality material, 10-year warranty, easy to install, fits all washer models.
Cons: works for certain floor configurations, expensive.
Are you sick and tired of the sounds of a helicopter in your house and terrible vibration? The owners of “dancing” washing machines understand what is it all about. Anti-walk rubber pads are designed to prevent any washer from shaking on the tile. They are cost-effective, sturdy and fit any washing machine model.
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Based on 198 customer reviews.
Pros: works great, semi-work on stackables, washer spins quieter, inexpensive, easy to install, fits any washing machine model.
Cons: works for certain floor configurations.
A rubber mat for heavy appliances is a nice solution for uneven floors. It helps when other methods don't work. It is practical and functional. The mat is large to fit any household appliance, so you can cut it to the size of your washing machine. If you have several washes a week, this mat is your greatest calming solution.
Amazon rating: 5 out of 5 stars. Based on 5 customer reviews.
Pros: large size, thick, made of recycled rubber, excellent vibration absorber.
There is hardly a person who doesn't know anything about mesh laundry bags. Those who at least once pulled out their favorite delicate garments covered with snags and tears do possess these washing machine accessories. The last create a physical barrier between the delicates and the rest of the laundry as well as reduce friction.
Make “Easy organization!” your motto when your delicates are concerned. If you are not willing to show your underwear, socks, and bras to the whole world, then pack them into high-quality mesh bags. Moreover, there is a bag for each type of clothing with a definite label on it. Sort, fold and enjoy delicate care.
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars. Based on 14 customer reviews.
Pros: great quality, a good idea for gifts, durable 3-fold mesh, easy to use, versatile.
Cons: zippers may bust over time.
This set has a variety of bag sizes from extra large to small. They allow sorting the clothes according to size & color parameters. The zipper teeth are plastic, so there's no need to worry about rust getting onto the laundry. Also, the stripes of different color on each laundry bag make it easy to remember what's inside of a certain bag.
Amazon rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 764 customer reviews.
Pros: plastic zippers, size variations, high-quality nylon material, zips work smoothly, stripes of color on each bag.
Cons: a bit stiff.
This is a thing that costs a penny but saves much money. How can that be? It simply protects delicate garments from being stretched and torn by preventing their contact with another laundry. In such a manner it prolongs the life of your favorite clothes. Moreover, it is made of a delicate silky material and fits for hosiery.
Amazon rating: 3.9 out of 5 stars. Based on 1,497 customer reviews.
Pros: looks like new after every wash, quick air dry, perfect size for lingerie, easy to use, soft and fine mesh material, no zipper, works great, inexpensive.
Cons: not shaped for bras.
Some items can get covered in lint after wearing and get worse after washing. There are many methods how to remove lint off the clothing from razor shaving to plucking them manually. But if you are not about to waste additional time on such a boring routine, use lint removers during washing.
This is a set rich on 12 thistle-like balls. Add some of them to the washing machine or dryer to remove lint and hair. Once the cycle is complete, clean the balls and they are ready to be used for the next load. They are especially recommended for the owners of long and thick hair or pet lovers.
Amazon rating: 2.7 out of 5 stars. Based on 201 customer reviews.
Pros: 12 balls in a set, reusable, easy to use, inexpensive, removes hair effectively, lasts for about 5 years.
Cons: don't work for certain type of clothes.
If you feel distressed every time when you roll down the hair from a clean laundry, it's time to trust this work for a hair filter. Put it in a drum and leave it to float during washing. It is amazing how a cute flower-like item can do such a great job! Enjoy your clothes clean from hair!
Amazon rating: 2.7 out of 5 stars. Based on 201 customer reviews.
Pros: time saver, absolutely inexpensive, worth every penny, collects hair effectively.
Cons: should not be used in portable washers.
Some householders have washers with a hose put in a sink and they face a problem of lint and hair clogging it. Instead of cleaning a pipe elbow, better invest in a lint trap device. It is designed to catch lint and other messy items before they get into a sink. Put a trap only on pipes that drain in a sink.
Amazon rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars. Based on 138 customer reviews.
Pros: 12 traps in a pack, high quality, heavy duty, rustproof, affordable, come with straps, extra long.
Cons: looks unattractive when stuck with lint.
A single clothing item thrown on a floor works like a powerful magnet for other garments that tend to join it. As a result, a pile of clutter grows very fast. Stop that circulation of scattered laundry with attractive yet extremely functional laundry baskets. Some of them are so stylish that can easily primp up your bathroom.
A laundry basket is a bulky bathroom accessory and when it is empty, it seems to be huge and useless. But what about a collapsible box? You can squish and hide it anytime or unfold whenever you need it. A collapsible laundry basket is an incredible space saver being at the same time a capacious laundry holder.
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Based on 116 customer reviews.
Pros: collapsible, compact, easy to assemble, sturdy, excellent quality, has two convenient handles, multipurpose, capacious.
Cons: mind the size it is not very large.
If you want to know when it's time to load your washer, then never buy a large laundry basket. Instead, opt for a storage box of a similar size with a machine drum, just like this storage box, and you will never have huge piles of the dirty laundry. A sorter for dark and light garments is an excellent addition to a box.
Amazon rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars. Based on 6 customer reviews.
Pros: collapsible, compact, easy to assemble, sturdy, has a magnet on a lid, excellent quality, multipurpose, perfect size, funny emoticon faces.
Cons: no bottom pads so it doesn't stay open when empty.
A topical issue in a large family is an amount of laundry. If you do about 10 loads of laundry a week, you know that finding garments all over the house and sorting them takes much time and energy. This sorter is about to make your life and washing routing easier. Put this center in a fast access to your family members and instruct how to separate the clothes. A full bag equals a load.
Amazon rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars. Based on 1,911 customer reviews.
Pros: collapsible, sturdy, perfect size, three bags for various garment types, aesthetically beautiful, excellent time saver, convenient for sorting the laundry.
Cons: frame is not very sturdy.
You've probably seen a TV add about these funny looking balls that claim to soften your clothes. Lots of positive reviews declare they work great, while extra soft sheets are a proof for that. So if you want your towels to be smooth and cushioned, give these funny washing machine accessories a chance.
Don't confuse them with rubber balls for puppies. They look nearly the same but are meant for an absolutely different purpose. They are perfect for people with allergies who can't stand any chemical softeners but are still longing for fluffy laundry. Add dryer balls to your washer/dryer anytime you want to pull an extra soft laundry out.
Amazon rating: 3.6 out of 5 stars. Based on 43 customer reviews.
Pros: natural product, easy to use, save detergent use, make laundry soft and fluffy, removes dirt effectively.
Cons: too noisy.
14. Wool Dryer Balls
The dryer balls are a nice and natural alternative to expensive toxic laundry softeners. The balls are recommended to people allergic to chemicals. They remove stains effectively and demand the half detergent you normally pour. These wool balls dry the clothes faster by separating the items in a drum. Try these excellent laundry boosters!
Amazon rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars. Based on 11,655 customer reviews.
Pros: 6 balls in a set, natural product, easy to use, save detergent use, make laundry soft and fluffy, remove stains effectively.
Cons: over time may leave some wool on laundry, noisy on spin cycles.
In addition to all the above-mentioned washing machine accessories, there are some more uncategorized useful items. Hope you find them efficient and practical.
15. Laundry Lasso
A lasso is normally associated with a cowboy but there is hardly a wild stallion or another tameless beast in your bathroom, but for your washing machine. It demands some care and air after washing, so you can use this lasso to give it both. A lasso keeps the door open for fresh air yet out of the way. This is a nice accessory to tame your washer!
Amazon rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars. Based on 38 customer reviews.
Pros: easy to install, prevents mold and odors, works for any front loading washer model, no tools required, washer safe item.
Cons: works for washers with front doors.
Those using giant bottles of detergent and softener will definitely like this gadget. It eases the pouring of liquid detergent by acting as a cup holder. You just need to put the cup and press the button. In addition, this holder stops dripping and saves your floor from damage.
Amazon rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars. Based on 289 customer reviews.
Pros: easy to install, prevents dripping, protects your floor from bleaching, convenient to use, sturdy plastic.
Cons: a bit expensive.
If for some reason an over-the-neck laundry detergent bottle gadget can't be installed, opt for a full-size soap station as a substitute. It looks like a two-stair gadget with the upper step for soap and the lower one for a measuring cup. The idea of this washing machine accessory is really simple though the convenience is fantastic.
Amazon rating: 4.1 out of 5 stars. Based on 12 customer reviews.
Pros: very convenient to use, bottles sit wonderful, sturdy plastic, easy to install or wall mount, keeps floor and shelf clean from drips.
Cons: dispenser jug is not included.
Taking out and setting an ironing board can be inconvenient, especially if you need to iron a single item. At the same time, it is nice to always have a ready-to-iron surface at hand. The magnetic ironing blanket can be of a great service. It sticks firmly and lays flat over a front-load washer's or dryer's top. It saves space and cost, which you could spend on a board.
Amazon rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars. Based on 224 customer reviews.
Pros: saves space, great cover, nice silver color, perfect for travel, very convenient to use.
Cons: can't be used on iron's highest setting.
In case you are looking for a cover to protect your washer/dryer from unfavorable laundry room environment, this is it! Made of a waterproof material, it also protects a washing machine from any physical damages such as chips and scratches. This is a tailored cover with fastening straps and buckles that provides strong protection even in a wind storm.
Amazon rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars. Based on 123 customer reviews.
Pros: excellent protection, waterproof material, tailored fit, easy to clean.
Cons: recommended for top load washers only.
Reminding your family members that they need to check pockets before putting garments into the washer can be exhausting for you and them. To restore peace and quiet in your house, you just need to stick this friendly reminder. The choice of place is important, you can even stick it onto a washer.
Amazon rating: there are no reviews yet. Be the first to review this item.
Pros: great idea, sounds friendly, do the work instead of you.
It's amazing how a simple gadget can be so fantastic. It concerns a hose clip. It is made to keep a drain pipe in place, otherwise, it risks to fall out of the laundry tub. If you don't want to waste your time on mopping up water from the floor, use this clip.
Amazon rating: 3.9 out of 5 stars. Based on 28 customer reviews.
Pros: sturdy, easy to install, holds a hose tight, does its job great.
Cons: fit depends on a tub.
22. Laundry Guard
Do you remember that feeling when something is falling down behind the washer? Especially socks tend to be lost in that dark place. If you want to save them from disappearing in that asylum, set a defensive barrier aka a laundry guard. It is possible to adapt it to a single machine or to a set of a washer & dryer.
Amazon rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars. Based on 61 customer reviews.
Pros: modular design, make no damage to a machine, sticks on magnets, protects effectively.
Cons: magnets aren't that strong.
The day that everyone hates is a laundry day. If you think there is nothing to speed up that dreadful task, you are wrong. Just follow these five simple tricks to make it faster and less stressful.
1. Sort laundry beforehand – a chore of sorting a pile of laundry is time-consuming. Stimulate the family to help you! Buy useful washing machine accessories such as laundry boxes for darks and lights or special laundry sorters for various types of clothes. When a basket is full, it's time to load and wash, no need to wait until a laundry day.
2. Skip ironing – you might have the best and widest ironing board in the most convenient place but it doesn't mean you would love ironing. One of the effective ways to make your laundry less crumpled, thus to let it be unironed, is to remove it quickly from the dryer. If you let the clothes stay there even for some time, it will get wrinkled.
3. Use socks-only mesh bags – as you see, mesh bags are versatile washing machine accessories. Put all dirty socks in a bag and you won't need to kill time on pairing them. This is an extremely tedious and time-sapping task, so you'd better invest in mesh bags.
4. Do laundry more frequently – there is no need to wait till a laundry day to wash your garments. You can do it as soon as a laundry basket is full. Don't you still have that washing machine accessory? Go for it and let it be your measuring basket that shows when it is time to load.
5. Don't search for stains – if you have kids and you are sure there are several items with stains in a laundry basket, relax and stop digging the heap hunting for little spots. If you don't have time or desire to pre-treat them, simply add some detergent booster like an all fabric bleach and say goodbye to specks of dirt.